Wednesday, December 2, 2009


Wow! Look at what my daughter twisted my arm to do. NaNoWriMo. And then I went and "won" it in my first year of trying.

Here's an excerpt of a particularly tense moment in the my rough draft 1:


Mack! Oh Mack! Gotta go back and get to Mack! He thought.

He started to rise to his feet. A screaming, running maniac of a man ran into him, and slammed his face into the mud. Oh my God, this man is about to kill me and my face is being pushed into this mud. Then just as quick as he'd arrived, the maniac got back to his feet to run again towards the Allied rearguard and continued his screaming. Herman felt an urge to get up and run screaming with him.

Thump, thump, thump, thump. The striking bullets seemed to lift little tufts of clothing up the backside of the running, screaming man. He fell to the ground, silenced. Whether he was German or Allied, Herman could only guess forever. It was only one death of seemingly hundreds occurring at that same instant very close at hand.

Someone must get that gunner. He's killing us all. Herman thought. He jumped to his feet and headed towards where the spray of bullets was coming from, with the gunner as his objective. With his first step, he was certain that it would be his last move.

Click-click-click-click … click-click-click. Endlessly, the machine gunner kept about his deadly work.


No comments: